Blum & Poe is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Archivist & Research Assistant
The Archivist and Research Assistant is part of a growing Communications team. You will be working directly with the Communications team to produce multiple publications per year, to research and document artists’ practices and artworks, to act as a steward to the library and archives, and to manage image rights. We are looking for someone who will bring fresh ideas for increased productivity and positive workflow to this position. You will be joining a strong gallery staff that is dedicated to its artists and exhibitions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Publications Production and Bookstore Assistance:
- Assist the Editorial Director in the production of approximately five publications/year
- Aid in proofing and fact-checking, research, rights management, budget tracking, etc.
- Coordinate mass book mailings for new releases and for bookstore sales
- Coordinate bookstore shipping and handling with the preparator crew
- Conduct regular inventories of catalog stock
- Assist the Content Manager with online bookstore maintenance and updates
Library and Archives Management:
- Maintain the gallery research library by ordering and cataloging new titles, weeding the collection annually, and supervising inventory
- Maintain the gallery’s analog and digital archives, tracking and capturing press, images, and ephemera per in-house standards
- Manage the artists’ CVs according to Blum & Poe formatting
Editorial and Research Support:
- Provide research briefs on the artists and artworks as needed
- Copyedit press releases and other gallery messaging as needed
- Record and organize communications department’s exhibition budget cycle expenditures
Rights and Reproduction Coordination:
- Act as a gatekeeper for the artists’ image rights
- Respond to image reproduction requests, checking for correct approval processes, copyright licenses, and policing the integrity of reproductions.
Digital Asset Management:
- File, organize, and package digital assets in coordination with the Registrars and Photography Coordinator.
- Educated to degree level, preferably in arts or humanities subject (BA required)
- Outstanding attention to detail
- Excellent skills in Adobe CS5, particularly Photoshop and InDesign (essential), working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Mac OSX
- Mastery of the Chicago Manual of Style writing and citation style guide, and experience copyediting manuscripts and other written materials
- Strong time management skills with the ability to work independently and manage varied deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Experience working in an art gallery or artist studio environment with an understanding of contemporary art
To apply please submit your resume, a brief cover letter, and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position is full-time, 5 days per week, with a majority of the week onsite at the gallery. The applicant must be flexible and available outside of the designated days on an as-needed basis. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes excellent benefits and paid time off. Only serious and qualified candidates will be considered. We will be following up with requests for interviews in the coming weeks in order to fill this position as soon as possible.
Reports to: Director of Operations
- Alongside the Director of Operations, oversee, implement and manage procedures for all facilities maintenance and safety and security protocols, which includes managing and maintaining the security systems in each space
- Conduct regular building maintenance as needed, oversee facility maintenance contracts and repairs, and maintain the upkeep and organization of all facilities and grounds including landscaping
- Assist the Director of Operations with gallery redesign, construction, painting related to exhibitions
- Maintain cleanliness of work areas in storage, oversee janitorial requirements in storage, manage grounds keeping for all facilities, and ensure facilities and buildings are in good order at all times
- Ensure a consistent and organized full inventory of necessary daily operation materials, building maintenance materials, tools, equipment and resources
- Schedule the regular maintenance of equipment used for shipping and install purposes at all facilities i.e. forklift, scissor lift, etc.
- Alongside the Director of Operations, supervise and budget for service requests, forecast necessary building updates, schedule timely inspections, and keep an organized calendar of future repairs, automated as much as possible
- Develop and oversee relations with vendors and all maintenance contractors as the main point of contact
- Ensure the gallery is in compliance with the Green Initiative alongside the Assistant Registrar
- Liaise with IT consultants as needed, ensuring proper equipment is in place and functioning, and evaluating technical needs
- Identify and oversee all aspects of crisis management planning strategies
- Take initiative and support the facilities betterment and assure longevity of the buildings
- Serve as primary facilities representative at after hours and weekend events and programs as needed
- Oversees load-in and load-out of event rentals as needed
- Attend weekly staff meetings
- Assist with the movement and installation of artworks throughout our gallery, viewing, and storage spaces
- Assist with organization and tracking of inventory in our warehouses
- Assist with receiving and releasing artworks and loading/off-loading trucks
- Assist with local collections and deliveries
- Prepare and properly pack artworks for transport and storage
- Prepare spaces for client viewings and photography including painting, patching, and artwork installation
- Keep viewing spaces and warehouses clean, safe, and client-ready
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 2 years’ relevant experience in facilities management, project management and staff supervision
- Familiarity with safety rules, construction documents, operating and maintenance instructions and service agreements and procedure manuals
- Must be a supportive team player, able to address new challenges and maintain a level head under pressure
- Ability to take initiative, multitask, and work graciously in a fast-paced environment
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Detail oriented and extremely well organized
- Proven ability to successfully set priorities, meet deadlines and budgets
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and Filemaker Pro
- Extensive familiarity with fine art handling best practices
- Calm and professional demeanor with staff, clients and vendors
- Certificates & licenses to conduct training in OSHA, disaster preparedness, and other safety programs are preferred. Willingness to attend training programs and seek certification required
- Self-starter. Project initiator and owner from inception to completion, strong communication and follow-up skills possessing perseverance and the ability to finish challenging projects
- Clean driving record holding a current driver’s license
- Use of person vehicle for work will be required
- Strong oral communication skills to convey accurate information in a tactful and diplomatic manner
- Strong written communication skills to prepare clear, concise, and grammatically correct business correspondence, including solid editing and proofreading skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- This position may require lifting or moving items over 50 pounds
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to email@example.com.
The position is full-time, 5 days per week. The applicant must be flexible and available outside of the designated days on an as-needed basis. Pay scale is commensurate with experience and includes excellent benefits and paid time off. Only serious and qualified candidates will be considered. We will be following up with requests for interviews in the coming weeks in order to fill this position as soon as possible.