Blum & Poe Los Angeles seeks a full-time Registrar with at least 5 years of relevant experience to begin immediately. The ideal candidate must be detail-oriented, have strong organizational and multitasking skills, and be able to work well in a dynamic, multi-location environment. This person will work closely with the Registrars, Director of Logistics and Operations team.
As a Registrar at Blum and Poe LA, your responsibilities will include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Oversee all incoming and outgoing artworks for Art Fairs and Offsite Exhibitions.
- Manage and conduct database entries thoroughly including provenance, exhibition history, etc. (pertaining to Art Fairs and Offsite Exhibitions).
- Manage and conduct condition reports, label artworks appropriately, file reports in server, and update Artbase as necessary (pertaining to Art Fairs and Offsite Exhibitions)
- Organize collections, packing, and shipments of artwork for Art Fairs and Offsite Exhibitions, alongside the Director of Logistics.
- Ensure Artbase locations are updated and follow up for relevant shipping documents for Assistant Registrar to file.
- Oversee consignments for Art Fairs and Offsite Exhibitions, including drawing up initial consignments, managing expirations, renewals, policies, returns, and alerting appropriate staff regarding expirations and renewals
- Oversee and coordinate artwork conservation, ensure safe care and handling of artworks for Art Fairs and Offsite Exhibitions and inform the appropriate staff as necessary
- Track artwork reserves and sales alongside Registrars
- Work with the Photography Coordinator in ensuring all artworks for Art Fairs and Offsite Exhibitions are professionally photographed, filed in server, and uploaded to the database
- Manage resale agreements, shipping, and returns
- Inform relevant staff regarding new resale inventory and extensions
- Manage Donations & Museum acquisitions alongside the Finance Coordinator
Loans and Insurance:
- Oversee and manage loans of artworks pertaining to Art Fairs and Offsite Exhibitions
- Manage Global Fine Art Insurance Policy and oversee the Annual Inventory and Insurance renewal alongside the Director of Finance, working closely with the Assistant Registrar
- Manage temporary insurance and certificates of insurance
- Oversee all logistics pertaining to Art Fairs and Offsite Exhibitions as required
- Create and maintain timelines, deadlines, and planning tools for all matters concerning art fairs and off-site exhibitions and communicate relevant information to gallery staff, alongside the logistics team
- Work with fair and exhibition budgets set by Accounting
- Update and maintain the Artbase checklist for each art fair
- Travel to assist with exhibitions, installations, production of artworks, and site visits as needed
- Oversee the production of artworks pertaining to Art Fairs and Offsite Exhibitions alongside
the Director of Operations and the Production Coordinator
- Oversee and generate installation manuals pertaining to inventory related to Art Fairs and Offsite Exhibitions alongside the Director of Operations and the Head Preparator
- 5 years relevant experience at a gallery, museum, or arts institution required
- Bachelor’s degree
- Outstanding interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and Filemaker Pro
- Extensive familiarity with fine art handling best practices and condition reporting/conservation
- Must be a supportive team player, able to address new challenges, and maintain a level head under pressure
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative, multitask, and work graciously in a fast-paced environment, deadline-driven environment
- Strong sense of discretion and confidentiality
We understand that job seekers may be less inclined to apply to jobs where they don’t meet 100% of the requirements. We encourage you to apply if you meet most of the qualifications and feel that your work history makes you a viable candidate.
- Monthly premiums for PPO, HMO or PPO + HSA plan medical insurance options (100% employer sponsored, at no cost to employee)
- Monthly premiums for Vision insurance (100% employer sponsored, at no cost to employee)
- Voluntary Dental Insurance (offered to employees with pre-tax deduction from payroll)
- Monthly premiums for Life Insurance (100% employer sponsored, at no cost to employee)
- Paid vacation days (2 weeks annually, prorated during first year based on start date)
- Paid sick time (6 days frontloaded annually, prorated during first year of employment based on start date)
- Paid holidays (major holidays including two weeks at end of year)
- Paid gallery closures (days vary per year based on exhibition schedules)
- Paid family leave
- Participation in a 401k retirement plan
- Staff discounts on gallery publications, merchandise, and select artworks
- Weekly Onsite Yoga on Thursdays
To apply please submit your resume, cover letter, and 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or walk-ins, please.
The position is full-time, 5 days per week, Monday–Friday, with some evening, weekend and potential travel commitments. Accessibility and availability across multiple time zones will be required. Salary is commensurate with experience and includes excellent benefits and paid time off. The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $85,000 annually. Only serious and qualified candidates will be considered. We will be following up with requests for interviews in the coming weeks in order to fill this position as soon as possible.